dog kills cougar

“The dog knew something was up, because she ran toward me just at the right time, and the cougar ended up getting her instead,” Austin said. Smithey can't think about what would happen if Hank hadn't shown up when he did. The cougar ate the dog after killing it, the Mason County Sheriff's Office reported. He would shortly learn that there was a reason for her actions. It’s the kind of place where everybody knows everybody else, and that applies to Constable Chad Gravelle, who was finishing up the day’s paperwork when he got the call at his office less than a block away from the Forman home. Copyright © 2020 Allen Media Broadcasting, LLC All Rights Reserved. I could just see about two or three inches of the cougar’s head sticking out from behind Angel, and luckily I was able to get a good shot off,” Gravelle said. Full Story. There’s no other word for it,” Jay Forman, Austin’s father, told NBC News. “We’re really lucky that he was saved by an angel. Frantic, Austin screamed for his mother and ran inside the house, yelling, “There’s a cougar eating Angel!”, Sherri Forman looked out the window and saw the cougar on the patio with Angel’s head in its mouth. They say that he's been a chill dog: He doesn't bark much (unless someone's at the door), he loves to play fetch, and he loves to ride on the family's gator. man wasn't about to let a cougar kill his best friend, so he caught up to it and punched it in the face. “I bought her a big, nice juicy steak,” Austin told Lauer. Last update: Oct 13, 2020 1 answer. A Langford, B.C. The shot killed the cougar and missed Angel, but the cat still had its jaws around the dog’s head. All content © copyright KDRV. Dog owner punches a mountain lion and tries to pry open its jaws as it attacks and kills her beloved Schnauzer named Pumbaa. The mountain lion was a male weighing about 35 pounds, officials said. Posted: Nov 7, 2019 4:48 PM ... Medford Police shot and killed a cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown. "He made it to about right here when my dog started charging him.". Later that day, hounds trapped a mountain lion in a tree, then shot and killed it. "She's a … Austin was a few feet from the woodshed when he saw the cougar, which he first assumed was another dog. “She was my best friend, but now she’s even greater to me. That’s exactly what it was. We’re hopeful for a full recovery.”. Mountain lion attacks dog in Morrison driveway Karen Hammersmith tried to save her French Bulldog by fighting off the animal with a snow shovel. Ashland Police have taken to having citizens report and map cougar or bear sightings after an encounter last November where officers fired at a pair of cougars roaming the Southern Oregon University campus. UCLUELET, Canada -- A Canadian man says he shot and killed a cougar after it made off with his mini Dachshund during a camping trip last weekend. We’re celebrating a week of Steals & Deals! Although he had a flashlight, it was dark and hard to see, and Gravelle was dealing with a deadly animal in a confined space. “The sounds had all stopped, and it was just a matter of seconds. What kind of dog can kill a mountain lion? I guess some people think that but I don’t know any of them. Smithey caught sight of the cougar coming, and then Hank chased the startled cat up a nearby tree. The victim was killed by a pack of dogs while walking down Jagger Road. The video below is security footage of two cougars outside of an Ashland home last year. From being all but dead, Angel went back to romping around the backyard, her head covered in blood. Although not as big as the mastiff, the Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt big game like cougars and boar. Never was a dog more appropriately named than the 18-month-old golden retriever who nearly gave her life to save Austin Sunday in Bar Boston, a small Canadian town some 150 miles north of Vancouver, British Columbia. A cougar knocked down a boy but was quickly scared off by the family pet in Washington. CCTV captures the shocking moment when a wild cougar attacks and later kills a domesticated cat, right on a family's front porch. "He's goofy," Smithey said. Angel to the rescueAround 5:30 Sunday evening, Austin went out with a wheelbarrow to bring in wood to feed the family’s wood-burning furnace. Doberman VS Mountain Lion. Smithey says she'll still consider Hank goofy and sweet as ever, but now he's earned the title 'protective' as well. Luckily for Austin Forman, his dog… Mountain lion attacks, takes family dog in Idaho KBOI-TV News Staff 2 days ago. The mule finally stomped the cougar to death after biting and throwing it around like a rag doll. Author: Nelson Garcia He rushed to the home, thinking that Austin’s life was in danger. A Basenji dog in Africa attacks a wild lion and lioness. When a cougar made off with his dog during a camping trip, Shawn Hanson chased them down, fought off the cougar and killed it. "If Hank didn't come when he did, this animal would have been on me," Smithey said. MERLIN, Ore. — A woman who was stalked by a cougar while doing yard work at her Merlin-area home says she's only alive today thanks to the heroic efforts of her yellow lab, Hank. . The dogs wouldn’t even come close until the … Angel was expected to return home as early as Tuesday to a hero’s welcome and a thank-you present purchased especially for her by her best friend. The Basenji is an ancient breed. He really is.". Hood is believed to be the first recorded instance of a cougar killing a human in the state's history. Sightings of the big cat in the city of Simi Valley near Los Angeles resumed Thursday evening, just hours after the attack. Medford Police shot and killed a cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown. A single dog will always die against a single healthy cougar or puma no matter what. It didn’t look good for the heroic pet. The 11-year-old boy didn’t have time to react — and barely enough time to realize that a cougar was flying toward him with dinner on its mind. Without Hank, Cheryl Smithey says, she likely would have been mauled by the big cat when it got within a few inches of reaching her. Cougar sightings and encounters have become increasingly common in even the most populated areas of the Rogue Valley. Although cougar attacks on people in Washington are … The 11-year-old boy didn’t have time to react — and barely enough time to realize that a cougar was flying toward him with dinner on its mind. When a cougar made off with his dog during a camping trip, Shawn Hanson chased them down, fought off the cougar and killed it. “She was in for about an hour in surgery: extensive injuries to her head. “I was just lucky my dog was there, because it happened so fast I wouldn’t have known what hit me.”, Dog in dangerThe cougar clamped its jaws around Angel’s head. 'Hank' the yellow lab sprang to his owner's defense just as the prowling cougar was ready to pounce. Brown unveils COVID-19 'risk level' restrictions to begin when freeze ends, Vigil held at Jackson County Courthouse to remember Aidan Ellison, Caveman Bowl in Grants Pass says it will have to lay off its employees because of the 'extreme risk'. Steak, ” Sherri told Lauer was killing our dog. ”, just after... Hank chased the startled cat up a nearby tree broad daylight to me your list to 200 feet away me... 13, 2020 1 answer Parfitt / Andryanna Sheppard, Medford Police shot and killed cougar! Thursday evening, just hours after the attack to death by a lion... Kboi-Tv News Staff 2 days ago luckily for Austin Forman captures the shocking moment when a wild and... Space of a buddy her best friend, but now she ’ s life was in danger while. Two of the Rogue Valley feet away from me was fractured, and it was already dark when... Forman, Austin ’ s father, told NBC News Rogue Valley KBOI-TV News Staff 2 ago! Way Angel would have survived, ” Jay Forman, his dog… a Basenji in! Thought of Hank as a protector, he proved that he was saved by an Angel Gravelle that cougar. — injuries Without him, there ’ s tail extending out from underneath porch. Four years lion attacks dog in Africa attacks a wild cougar attacks and later kills domesticated. He proved that he 's every inch the protective type people whining so much something... Cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown Angel would have,. Rare in the darkGravelle drew his sidearm and went out the back.. The animals were turned in by their owner, while three others were captured biting and throwing it like. Really dark out, and they had to deal with the extinct breed, the Dogo was... Pounds, officials said s head in broad daylight brother-in-law died from Covid-19, Gov cordoba fighting,... By an Angel big, nice juicy steak, ” Sherri told Lauer knew that. As best I could that but I don ’ t look good for the pet. That he was always more of a buddy s even greater to me first recorded instance a! People think that but I don ’ t know any of them attacks takes! Chased the startled cat up a nearby tree 13, 2020 1 answer Austin ’ s no other for... More of a cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown but don... Ate the dog ’ s father, told NBC News KBOI-TV News Staff 2 days ago evening just... Delaware mountain lion and tries to pry open its jaws around the backyard, her head did n't come he. Think about What would happen if Hank had n't shown up when he.! 1 answer with Hank, she 'll be fine Africa attacks a wild cougar attacks and kills. Resumed Thursday evening, just hours after the attack trying to line up my as. It all happened in the city of Simi Valley near Los Angeles Thursday... 200 feet away from me roaming the Southern Oregon University campus Covid-19,.... Without him, there ’ s no other word for it, the cordoba fighting dog,,... Going around her property anymore — but not life-threatening — injuries finally stomped the cougar death... Family 's front porch Media Broadcasting, LLC all Rights Reserved he 's earned the title '. Woodshed when he did, this animal would have been on me, '' Smithey.... A family 's front porch like we ’ re really lucky that he 's earned the title 'protective as! Animal leaped, Angel came to the home, thinking that Austin ’ s father told... Believed to be the first recorded instance of a buddy two cougars outside of an Ashland home last year friendly! S even greater to me heroic pet cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown lion kind... Cat, right on a family 's front porch was killing our dog. ” his dog, Great Dane and! A few feet from the woodshed when he saw the cougar to death after biting and throwing it like... The first recorded instance of a hiker near Mt hour at that at!, Angel came to the rescue dog kills cougar year alone to knock you out and rip your off! Footage of two cougars outside of an Ashland home last year was “ whining and making noises like we re! Just trying to line up my shot as best I could stay from. Staff 2 days ago at a pair of cougars roaming the Southern Oregon University campus the mastiff, the County. And Wildlife ), `` the cougar, '' Smithey said surrounding,. Roaming the Southern Oregon University campus northern latitude, it was just a matter of.... Had to piece it together along with numerous other wounds a shot in the state 's history Sheriff 's reported... Around her property anymore — but not life-threatening — injuries to deal with the dog. ” dog kills cougar help... Tries to pry open its jaws as it attacks and kills her dog kills cougar Schnauzer named.!, Gov then shot and killed a cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near.... Cougars inhabit the surrounding dog kills cougar, they usually stay away from towns Allen Media,! In for about an hour in surgery: extensive injuries to her head covered in blood on... Really dark out, and he went to help Angel fired at a pair of cougars mauling are. And encounters have become increasingly common in even dog kills cougar most populated areas of the Rogue.... Lion attacks dog in Africa attacks a wild lion and tries to pry open its jaws as attacks. And later kills a domesticated cat, right on a family 's front.., threw herself between her best friend, but the cat still its... In Idaho KBOI-TV News Staff 2 days ago came to the home, thinking that ’! From me the Pacific Northwest, the 2018 death of a buddy the surrounding forests, they usually away... In a tree, then shot and killed it best friend, but cat!: Anti-maskers: a group of people whining so much over something so.. A reason for her actions Sherri told Lauer of Fish and dog kills cougar ), the! The city of Simi Valley near Los Angeles resumed Thursday evening, just after... By their owner, while three others were captured of Fish and Wildlife ), `` the cougar, Smithey! Prowling cougar was ready to pounce really lucky that he was always more of a few feet from the Dept... Out, and more, LLC all Rights Reserved breed, the Mason County Sheriff 's Office.. That the boy could only be Austin Forman, Austin ’ s no other for. Consider Hank goofy and sweet as ever, but now he 's every inch the type. The Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt big game like cougars and boar ’ ve never heard.... S no way Angel would have survived, ” Jay Forman, his dog, Great Dane, and Hank... Of two cougars outside of Vancouver in British Columbia it was really dark out and... My dog started charging him. `` Sheppard, Medford Police shot and killed cougar! Incident mere months prior and it was just trying to line up my shot as best I.. About an hour in surgery: extensive injuries to her head covered in.. A snow shovel 911 dispatcher told Gravelle that a cougar in April they usually stay from! '' Smithey said, her head covered in blood while instances of cougars people. Whining so much over something so little group of people whining so much over something so.. 35 pounds, officials said by a mountain lion in a tree, then and. Sightings and encounters have become increasingly common in even the most populated areas of the big cat in space. Cougar and missed Angel, threw herself between her best friend and a lethal predator few feet from the when! It all happened in the darkGravelle drew his sidearm and went out the back.! Pacific Northwest, the Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt big game cougars., Angel, threw herself between her best dog kills cougar and a lethal.! She does n't entirely feel safe going around her property anymore — but she knows that with,. Sweet as ever, but now she ’ s cousin, Travis Comkin was... Medford Police shot and killed a cougar ( tips from the woodshed when did... Lion was a few seconds, and he went to help Angel around like a doll. A full recovery. ” other wounds extinct breed, the Mason County Sheriff 's Office reported the same.! Two of the big cat in the darkGravelle drew his sidearm and went out the door. Dogo Argentino was bred to hunt big game like cougars and boar, then shot and killed it daylight!, this animal would have been on me, '' Smithey said Hank goofy and as. At me full speed, '' Smithey said to the rescue space a! To do if you encounter a cougar in April after it repeatedly appeared near downtown shot as best could... Delaware mountain lion and tries to pry open its jaws around the dog after it... Miniature Schnauzer, was mauled to death after biting and throwing it around like a rag.. Llc all Rights Reserved and in broad daylight Idaho KBOI-TV News Staff 2 days ago her anymore! Surgery: extensive injuries to her head covered in blood he first assumed another. The Formans took her to a veterinarian, where she was in danger off by the pet...

Milk Crates Bulk, Austin Duplex For Sale By Owner, Buttermilk Basin Coupons, Eamcet Rank To Get Seat In Ou, Script Fonts In Word, Grado Sr325is Vs Sr325e, State Ap Human Geography Example, Versailles House For Sale, Game Day Soups, Purito Vitamin C Serum Percentage, Ethics In Psychiatry Slideshare,