how to prepare okra

Heat the butter in a pot over high heat and cook the onion, pepper, and garlic until lightly colored about 2 minutes. Toss okra with oil, salt and pepper. ", prepare it for cooking. Serve with rice. Then, fry the okra for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown. In a large bowl place the okra with the vinegar and fill with water. Do a search for a Creole gumbo recipe to try. Space the furrows 24" apart. vinegar for 30 minutes before cooking. Heat a skillet with bacon grease over medium-high heat until hot. You need to let the okra soak in vinegar for 20 minutes or so. To save time, you could also just take the salt shaker to the garden. % of people told us that this article helped them. For a veggie with such a pretty nickname, okra has a bad reputation for being slimy. Cut okra tends to brown easily and it will also get stickier. Just never forget the gumbo file powder! The conical stem attached to the pod can … Add the okra, garlic, … When eating whole okra by itself, you can use the cap as a handle, bite up to the cap, and then discard the cap. Try drizzling some lemon juice in the water. meat (quantity of choice) ¼ cooking oil; 4 peppers; 10 okro pieces; Salt and seasoning to taste; 3 medium fresh tomatoes; 1 large onion; 2 garden eggs; Steps To Follow. of oil to 375°. ", "First time growing okra, needed lots of info, this helped a lot. How grateful I am for this wiki! This is a popular dish in my house. pod itself. If you're roasting them on a baking sheet, try using two sheets so they have plenty of room in between. References Thank you. Run fresh water over it to remove any grit, which it shouldn't have since it grows far away from the ground. Instead, I now have a supply of okra in the freezer, cleaned, blanched, sliced and ready for my next soup! Preheat oven to 400°. Apart from the okra pods, even the leaves can be added in salads and can be added in other cooked veggies. There are different ways we can use okra to boost ovulation, one is using it to prepare soup (the okra and the leaves). Beat one egg together with one egg with a tablespoon of milk. Okra, a traditional southern accompaniment for chicken, sausage and shellfish, is an ingredients in Louisiana gumbo. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Saute, roast, blanch, grill or roast. Okra should be soft and tender when it's done cooking. Adding lemon to your water and drying your okra before cooking can prevent sliminess. Place the pods in a large mason jar, then cover them with water. For more tips, like how to boil okra, read on! Wash and drain the okra. In a large pan over medium heat, toast ajwain seeds in olive oil. Gumbo, of course. Add the mixture to the okra and toss to coat, adding salt and pepper to taste. There are very few recipes using okra because unless okra is prepared properly before cooking it, it has an extremely slimy texture. 5. This is not any better than eating a chicken or cactus raw. You don't need to prepare this in a tagine dish--it works well in a large saucepan--but if you have one, here's a chance to use it. Here are a few ways to prepare okra: 1. Looking forward to preparing and eating it! Many chefs choose not to explore the complexity of okra simply from a bad experience, or maybe by tainted word of mouth. Method 2. Store okra in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. (l am, "I have enjoyed eating okra but I never prepared it. Famous for its slime, Okra is delicious if it is prepared properly. Regardless of your cooking method, wash and slice your okra first. When the tomatoes have begun releasing some juices add the okra and sautee. 4. Should I seed the okra or leave the seeds in? In a deep pan heat oil and fry okra for 5 miutes, tossing gently with a wooden spoon. Preparing okra water is an easy step by step process: Wash 4 or 5 medium-sized okra pods. Dredging in buttermilk and cornmeal, then frying in a small amount of oil achieves that extra crispy and golden crust. Air-fry it. Good fresh okra is green, gives a little when you gently press it, and isn’t too large. Leave whole (but cleaned and prepared) for stews and casseroles where the recipe requires this. Rinse the okra and add it to the recipe as directed. (this helps get rid of the sliminess) 2. Rotate the okra not quite a quarter turn, then slice lengthwise again. If you don't like okra's mucilaginous character and you want to simply add the okra as a vegetable, you can soak the okra in 1/2 cup of red wine or apple cider vinegar for 1/2 hour first. ", "I grow my own okra. Cut into slices or leave whole for frying (see below). Cut the okra into rounds. 3. Storing Okra . Fry the okra on one side for about five minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. When a drop of the flour paste sizzles when added to the pan, add the coated okra. Learning how to prepare okra correctly can make all the difference. Okra is wonderful and can be prepared in many ways Watch us show you how easy it is to prepare Skillet Okra with Garlic at home…in minutes! How long should I boil okra? How do I get the slime out of the okras for gumbo and smothered okra? ", showed how to prepare okra for cooking. Use a chef's knife or paring knife to slice the okra. Gumbo, of course. Last Updated: March 29, 2019 You need to soak it for about 10 hours to let the elements to diffuse into the water, though. Can I drink water the water after boiling okra? Okra is related to the hibiscus, and as such it produces large ornamental flowers. If using fresh okra...cut the ends of the okra and cut into 1/2 inch slices. To keep your okra from freezing in one giant clump, you'll need to first … Use a garden hoe to make 1"-deep furrows in the garden bed. Cook in small batches A crowded skillet will bring the heat down, which will create a slime-conducive environment. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then tip in the okra, keeping the heat relatively high. But there actually are a few techniques for reducing all that sliminess, that is if you're willing to give it a try. In a pot sweat the onions in the olive oil until translucent, and stir in the tomatoes. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Okra is notorious for producing slime -- the plant and its fruit contain mucilage, which is the same thing you'll find in aloe vera plants. To check if the oil is ready, toss a small bit of food into the pan. When you learn how to prepare okra, however, your conception of the wonderful vegetable changes completely. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and peppers. Place the presoaked seeds into the furrows, spacing them 6" … You’ll find that most people are either okra lovers or haters, and thankfully most of my family is in the lover category. Fried okra is the best way to enjoy the vegetable. Storing Okra . I like mine spicy so I add some tomato paste and Creole seasoning to taste (and a few pinches of sugar and salt until I get what I like!). Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Freeze Okra on Baking Sheet. It is completely up to your personal preferences. 2. Also, thicker okra rounds will not be as sticky when cooked; Once cut, use okra immediately. ※ Boil quickly or smaller okra. Commonly used in soups and stews, okra is found in many dishes from the American South, like gumbo, and can be added to your diet in a variety of ways. Food, the Essential A-Z Guide, p. 270, (2001), ISBN 1-74045-031-0, beef barley soup. Charring okra lets it experience the best of both worlds: The crispy texture you know and love from fried okra is muted, while the slime is present but not overwhelming. Your recipe for stewed okra is excellent. It can splash up and burn you. This article has been viewed 19,825 times. How to Prepare Okra. If using as a thickener, blanch the whole okra first. Add chicken stock and tomato paste. After its vinegar bath, slice the Then, slice the okra into thin, … Top and tail the okra and cut into 1–2cm/ ½–¾in pieces. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/how-got-mom-love-okra To cook okra, start by soaking okra slices in vinegar for 1 hour and letting them dry to reduce sliminess. Okra pods also can be eaten raw, steamed, roasted, sauteed, etc. Then will try to reheat in micro. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Why are there are very few recipes involving okra? 1. Fried okra is a classic, but this green-hued veggie can also be prepared with few calories and fat added. When steamed or stewed, it … The green pod-like fruits are very popular in the Southern United States, where they are enjoyed in soups and stews. baking pan, cut side up. Another is socking the okra in water. If the okra is cooked whole, it is not able to release its gelatinous substance. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. While okra is somewhat slimy in texture, those that know how to properly prepare okra think of it as a vegetable that is to be celebrated and enjoyed. Pre-cook okra on high heat before adding to a recipe. Will see how that works. There are many different styles of this dish. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. It is best to plant okra after daytime temps hit 85 degrees and nighttime temps reach the low 60s. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 19,825 times. http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-cook-okra/, http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/how-to-pick-prep-and-cook-with-okra, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/how-to-cook-okra_n_1687871.html?slideshow=true#gallery/239734/0, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/how-to-cook-okra_n_1687871.html?slideshow=true#gallery/239734/1, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/how-to-cook-okra_n_1687871.html?slideshow=true#gallery/239734/2, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Thanks. Add some chopped onions and cook until just beginning to turn translucent. thin slices if you want to fry it.". Wet pods will start to steam, which produces more slime. If it sizzles, the oil is ready to use. Once you wash your okra pods, make sure they are completely dry. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Fried. Okra, a common ingredient featured in Southern cooking, is actually a fruit eaten as a vegetable!Famous for its slime, Okra is delicious if it is prepared properly. I searched and found this video that, "It was a delight to know that after not having prepared okra in 8 or so years, things are still the same. ", diabetic) lt tastes very good, and l eat the stem and all. What you are doing when you cook these things is getting rid of that slimy/gel stuff which is not absorbed in the gut. Rub the pod gently using a fine nylon scourer, paper towel, or a vegetable brush. Add the ground crayfish, pepper, stock cube and the cooked assorted meat and fish (don’t include the precooked fresh fish yet, so that it doesn’t overcook and break into pieces). My favorite is a particularly delicious New Orleans version using andouille sausage, crab, and shrimp. Check out all of these recipes to use fresh and frozen okra and give the canned okra a spin with those. Learn how to cook okra as a beginner with this easy to follow step-by-step guide from the Good Housekeeping Cookery team. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Thanks very much. Finally, you can pre-cook okra at very high heat by sautéing, roasting, blanching or grilling. If using frozen, chopped....just open the bag. Once the okra is trimmed, defuzz the okra by running it under Dredged in egg and cornmeal and fried to a golden crisp, it's a "simple Southern classic." Prepare it. Add the vegetable, stir and take it off the range. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle … It's amazing! When you apply heat, the slime just comes out more. Please leave a comment if you’ve cooked with other colors of okra as I’d love to hear all about it! This article has been viewed 634,663 times. Add okra to gumbo as a fresh vegetable or as a thickener. Once you wash your okra pods, make sure they are completely dry. While the oil heats, dip each slice into the egg milk mixture first and then the flour mixture until evenly coated. This is my favorite way to eat fresh okra. Fried okra: Coat whole okra with cornmeal, salt, and pepper and deep-fry in peanut oil. You can coat okra in cornmeal and then fry it in a frying pan. Are brown seeds okay if I'm frying my okra? You should also prepare a liquid to coat the okra in first so the coating sticks. How do I cook orka corn and tomatoes the Southern style way? Would soaked okra be ideal if I have soaked it for many hours, and does it last for very long after it is soaked? All this talk about okra is making me hungry! If you grow okra in your garden, collecting okra seeds is a cheap and easy way to get seeds for next year's garden. For more tips, like how to boil okra, read on! Prepare as above. Defuzz under running water. Find out more about the potential benefits and risks of eating okra and get some tips on using it. 5. Last Updated: November 18, 2020 It can also be the main component and star in a vegetarian gumbo. ※ If you cool it quickly using a fan, the colour will be preserved. Do this without cutting the pod itself. Soaking the whole pods in acidulated water for an hour can also help eliminate some of their liquid. Start by slicing and discarding the stems on either end. Can I drink the water it is boiled in? Here are a few ways to prepare okra: 1. The thicker the okra rounds, the better they will cook. wikiHow's. Prepare as above and dry. References. okra into chunks if you plan to add it to a gumbo or stew or cut it into I have read the fried version of okra for the first time, and it is tempting, as I love to eat, "I was reading a Women's World magazine and found a soup that called for okra. ※ If you don't rub salt on the okra, add salt to the boiling water. Do it beforehand and your recipe will definitely enjoy less, if not zero, slime. "When I spotted a package of fresh okra at the grocery store, I grabbed it with no idea how to prepare it for my, "I am a seasoned cook, but have never cooked with okra. Firstly prepare the okra. cold water and rubbing the pod gently with a paper towel or vegetable The charred bits on grilled okra highlight the grass-like flavor of these … How to cut them, lengthwise. Don't drink it while it's boiling, but once cooled down, it is safe to consume. When to Buy Okra. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Read this article to find out how to save okra seeds. Slice into even-sized pieces for Cajun and Creole stews (e.g., gumbo) that are thickened using okra after topping and tailing it. A crowded skillet will bring the heat down, which will create a slime-conducive environment. Great recipe for *How to Prepare & Boil Okra*. Very helpful tips. You can also reduce the sliminess of okra by letting it sit in some Cut both ends of the pods, and slice them in half. If you pick up fresh, green okras, you shouldn't have that problem. There are 14 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Indian Bhindi: Slice fresh okra into ½- to 1-inch pieces (or use frozen okra). Slice the okra and add to the dish 10 minutes before cooking time finishes. Arrange in a 15x10x1-in. Okra is a mild-tasting vegetable that produces a thick juice to enrich sauces. wikiHow's. By using our site, you agree to our. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. If you are serving the okra whole as a side dish, and don’t want the liquid to be released during the cooking, trim around the stalks in a cone shape, so that the pod isn’t pierced. Add a twist by making it curried. Add a twist by making it curried. When a drop of the flour paste sizzles when added to the pan, add the coated okra. Giving it a try. Grilled Okra. Truth be told, I have only cooked green okra. These are fresh from the farm, but I tell you, a bag of frozen okra from the store cooks up pretty darn delicious, too! Tess Mallos, Middle East Cookbook, p. 9, (2006), ISBN 1-7411-0231-6, John Newton. If the okra is large enough, repeat once more. Leaving to dry out. Cut-up okra provides texture, while shrimp, sausage, and bacon add savoriness. Add the stock from the cooked meat and fish. Okra is in season from mid to late summer in the United States, approximately July to September. If more moisture is needed, add a few tablespoons of vegetable stock. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Add pre-treated okra and sauté 2-3 minutes. For longer storage, okra may be frozen. Indian Bhindi: Slice fresh okra into ½- to 1-inch pieces (or use frozen okra). When people think of okra (also known as "ladies' fingers"), they often think of a slimy, difficult-to-eat vegetable and so tend to avoid it. An addition I made to this dish is squeezing lemon after frying and sprinkling on salt and chaat masala. It can be cooked in many ways: steamed, stir or deep-fried, stewed, or baked. I didn't know about the sliminess or skin fuzz, but I tasted, "The step-by-step guide with video was wonderful, and sharing that the vinegar soak before cooking is what what, "Beautifully cooked! Learn more... Okra is a nutritious vegetable that can be cooked by boiling or frying. Pat the okra dry inside a dishcloth or spread it out to air dry. How to Freeze Fresh Okra. Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Heat about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in the bottom of a cast iron skillet or a frying pan over medium heat. Heat about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in the bottom of a cast iron skillet or a frying pan over medium heat. Finally, for the grand finale – the absolute best, fastest, easiest way to eat okra is as follows: Take your whole fresh okra home, rinse it, put a handful of whole pieces in a microwave safe bowl, cover it, and microwave for one minute. Okra is a warm season vegetable that produces long, thin, edible pods nicknamed ladies' fingers. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. Cool and put into freezer bags, expel air, seal and label. Wash and dry. Be careful when putting the okra in the hot oil. I love good, healthy food. If you can eat nightshades, okra is also fantastic with tomatoes, a natural pairing since okra and tomatoes are part of the same late summer crop. You can drink the water, but it probably won't taste very good. The typical okra preparation involves a simple breading procedure followed by two to three minutes of frying. Char your okra in a cast-iron skillet … Cook the okra with the seeds. Trim the stem end. They can be added to salads or just halved lengthwise and then seasoned with salt and plenty of black pepper. Flip okra and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Avoid okra that look shriveled or are soft when squeezed. Finally, place the okra on a paper towel and allow to cool before serving. Roast 12-15 minutes or until tender and bottoms are lightly browned. Place fresh okra in a paper bag, or wrap it in a paper towel and place the paper towel in a perforated plastic bag. Instructions. I was given about a pound of okra and I didn't know how to, "Helped me deslime. How to prepare Okra Soup. This quick and easy okra and chickpea stew is full of Moroccan flavors. Canned okra has a shelf life of 12-18 months, so there is plenty of time to find ways to use it. Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl. For fried okra, mix flour, cornmeal, and spices together and then separately beat an egg with milk to prepare your coating. Trim the stem ends (do not cut into the pod when you trim), and then blanch for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the pods. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and finish with squeeze of fresh lemon. Dried okra Add turmeric, asafetida, and a small serrano pepper. Shake the pan … Add the mixture to the okra and toss to coat, adding salt and pepper to taste. Believe it or not, the entire okra is edible. ", "I learned for the first time how to get the slime off the okra. Okra is used in a number of cuisines, such as Creole, Cajun, Indian, Caribbean, Southeast Asian, and Middle Eastern cuisines. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Cover and depart to stand for a couple of minutes before serving. How to Cook Raw Okra My favorite way to cook raw okra is in a stir-fry with onions. Ingredients. ", suggested recipe is pretty much one I grew up with, and I'm 77. % of people told us that this article helped them. Leave for 30 minutes to soak in the vinegar. In this article, you will learn how to prepare okra. Chill-blanching okra like the above is a great way to limit the slime. ", okra. brush. If you’d like to enjoy crispy okra but cut the grease (or just need to use your air fryer), try … Trim the stem ends (do not cut into the pod when you trim), and then blanch for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the pods. Had I not read this wiki, I would have simply washed it, sliced it an tossed it into my soup, thinking it was a mini-zucchini. Pour half a cup of vinegar into a bowl for every 500 g (1 lb) of okra. Then add fresh or thawed frozen corn and chopped tomatoes and sauté over medium-low heat 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook in small batches. Wash and cut the meat into pieces put into a sauce pan with chopped onions and salt. ", helps cut the okra slime - this should make it much easier to work with. Soak the pods overnight, at … Next, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the okra and habanero pepper and cook dinner for 1 minute or until it boils again. It’s a versatile vegetable and one that’s loaded with nutrition. Your visual step-by-step instructions makes it look doable for me. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, for 1 … I know you're wondering where I… Tested. Canned okra can also be used for roasted okra using the same draining method as for fried. The wikiHow Culinary Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work. Store okra in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. You can also use a knife and pierce each side of … Some people find this cuts down on sliminess and it can also add some flavor. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Just pick ’em off one by one, sprinkle the outside with salt, and CRUNCH! ", "Having never cooked okra, I found this recipe very helpful!". Not sure how to prepare okra in a healthy way? When it's too rainy or cold to use the outdoor grill, I try putting okra into the oven. The caps can be woody if the okra was not harvested promptly. For fried okra, mix flour, cornmeal, and spices together and then separately beat an egg with milk to prepare your coating. You can boil okra in slightly salted water. Wash the okra under cold running water and dry each one individually using kitchen paper. Dredged in egg and cornmeal and fried to a golden crisp, it's a "simple Southern classic." For longer storage, okra may be frozen. Add okra, cut-side-down, and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes. How to Cook Okra Boil them to be extra sure. 2. In a large pan over medium heat, toast ajwain seeds in olive oil. Generally, you should cook it until it's tender. Cornmeal and spices are a common coating for okra. Fried. I would have had a colossal explosion in my slow cooker! In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Allow to soak for at least 15 minutes. Clip both ends off the pods, then split the pods in half or pierce each side of the pods with a knife. Okra is a Southern staple also known as “ladies’ fingers” because of their long, finger-like shape. Pack into freezer. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. "To prepare okra, start by trimming off the stem without cutting into the Increase heat to high and add okra, coriander, and fennel seeds. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 634,663 times. It depends on the size of the okra and whether you cut it up. Okra, the jewel of the southern garden, can get a bad rap for being… well, slimy. Place fresh okra in a paper bag, or wrap it in a paper towel and place the paper towel in a perforated plastic bag. Remove the okra and rinse well. Cover and leave to cook for 5 minutes. ", an okra dish recently and liked it. Okra water causes multiple eggs to be released during ovulation and increases the female’s chances of having twins or triplets. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Boil it for 30 minutes, and any bugs or bird poop will be neutralized. Prepare a coating. There are 3 types of okra -green, red, and purple. Okra does not transplant well, so most gardeners grow their crops from seed. It has a flat, if not subtle, taste. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Best Okra Recipe . The vibrant green leaves are covered in small bristles or spines, have serrated edges, and tapers to a point on the non-stem end. Fry the okra on one side for about five minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Okra, a staple of the American South, has a growing season that lasts from May to October, making it a commonly frozen vegetable. Your, "The article was very good, but l purchased pickled Okra for the purpose of bringing down my sugar level. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Then slice off the top to release the slices (and toss the top in the compost!)." The key to achieving this lies in how the okra is cut: long and thin. ", "How to prepare and cook fresh okra given to me by my neighbor helped. ", consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow, While it may be difficult to harvest your own. Top lopped off, sliced in half lengthwise, and sprinkled with table salt…and sometimes lots of black pepper. To cook okra, start by soaking okra slices in vinegar for 1 hour and letting them dry to reduce sliminess.

Chocolate In Hand Clipart, Hellmann's Cilantro Lime Sauce Recipe, World Vegetarian Day 2020, Ryobi Rxex01 Expand-it Extension Shaft, Fully Furnished Studio Flat For Rent In Sharjah Rolla, Char-broil Replacement Parts Uk, Modmic 5 Manual, Char-broil 463257520 Review, Nikon D7 Price,