lake tekapo glacier walk

Lake Tekapo was once covered by glaciers. Explore the Shores of Pines Beach. The lake surface is like a mirror, perfectly reflecting the snow-capped Aoraki Mt Cook. Avoid long lines at Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre by having admission included. Continue past the hydro outlet and the footpath continues to the campground and hot pools complex. Free downloadables, tips and itineraries and all the things you need! The outdoor adventures continue as you make your way to the hot pools located at the base of Mt. It’s not far from the Joseph Franz Glacier. The heart of the Mackenzie Region. This is one of my favourite Lake Tekapo walks so I highly recommend it. Transport is required to get to the start and end points of this trail. I'm planning my 10 days trip to South Island of New Zealand and hope I could get some help!. When the German explorer, Julius von Haast discovered the glacier in 1865, the glacier would have extended almost out to the Tasman sea. The views of Lake Tekapo and across to the surrounding mountains are incredible on a clear day. Most immediately, I wanted to re-attempt the so-called Blue Pools Track—the pools, if you’ll recall, had been a murky brown when I stopped at them on my way in from Lake Tekapo and Aoraki. From Lake Tekapo township, head west on State Highway 8 and a couple of minutes from town, take a right turn onto Godley Peaks Road. Eventually we came around the corner and saw the electric blue water of Lake Tekapo. How to get to the Lake Tekapo Peninsula Track:  Follow the signs towards Mt John, go past the turnoff and drive until you see a carpark near Lake McGregor where this Lake Tekapo walk starts. Popular attractions Church of the Good Shepherd and Tekapo Springs are located nearby. It is also a great base for hikes to nearby Lake … Having travelled extensively in Europe and Africa, has lived in London and the USA and holidayed in many parts of Asia, she is not a newbie to the travel space. Hopefully you’ll get a nice day. It is soft to walk on from all the pine needles dropping over the track, so is lovely for young kids to explore it. Lake Tekapo Regional Park Time: 24km of trails of various lengths starting from 5 minutes. The trail offers a number of activity … Check out all reviews and photos of Mount Cook Lake Tekapo & Tasman Glacier … Up to 2 hours return or 3 ½ hours to return via the lake shore track. Information panels highlight some of the history along the walk. Hey y'all ! Approximately 3 hrs of free time in Mount Cook to savor lunch, enjoy a scenic walk in the National Park to see Tasman Glacier. The trail travels along an old glacial terrace providing stunning views of Lake Tekapo … Find the reviews and ratings to know better. If you are interested in more fun things to do in Lake Tekapo, then click here for a full list of Tekapo activitieseval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'backyardtravelfamily_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_8',108,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'backyardtravelfamily_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_9',108,'0','1'])); Mt Cook National Park is a bit over an hours drive from Tekapo, so an easy day trip if you are staying in Tekapo for a night or two. It is ideally located for guided glacier walks, heli hikes or scenic helicopter flights as Fox Galcier is just a few minutes' drive away and Franz Josef Glacier is 30 minutes by car. I wore the same and actually had to strip off my jersey as walking uphill with a baby backpack just gets you super sweaty. There are no toilets on this track, so if you need these, just backtrack a few minutes (same road), and public toilets are available on Lakeside Drive opposite the small lakeside playground. We carried their winter ski jackets in the baby carrier, but they never needed to put them on. Return the same way down or take a longer option which descends from the Observatory on a well marked track which zig zags its way down towards Lake Tekapo and continues about 50m above the lakeshore before you return back along a gravel road to the starting point of the walk. Trip.com introduces detailedly Lake Tekapo travel guides of 2020, where large number of Lake Tekapo attractions in 11 are collected, and tourists can find travel guidebook regarding popular scenic spots, popular cities, travel lines, food and most popular destinations. Icebergs can usually be seen floating in the lake in summer, and in winter, the lake … Jen has three young children, 6 and under and travels around New Zealand with them. No visit to the Mackenzie Region is complete without a stop at Lake Pukaki. Situated in a rural location, this vacation home is within 1 mi (2 km) of Cowans Hill Walkway and Church of the Good Shepherd. Park on the roadside here. As the glacier moved, it dumped large amounts of terminal moraine eventually resulting in the damming of the valley causing. Gentle walk to lake and safety precautions … Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. The route via the Lake Shore Track will take about 3.5 hours return, so will add some time to your walk. Tibetan prayer flags are a memorial … Be awed by Lake Tekapo, Franz Josef Glacier, stunning mountains, fantastic views, and the amazing Queenstown and Christchurch on this adventurous New Zealand South Island tour! Encounters with the mighty Tasman glacier can be had by boat, heli-hiking or even skiing. This is a popular Lake Tekapo walking track for local walkers, but do be aware it is also a mountain bike track, so keep an ear out for cyclists. What you need to know: Well maintained track and relatively flat. Lake Tekapo is actually quite a small town, but there are a few walks with some beautiful views that you should do while you are here. From Mount Cook you can continue to Queenstown via the Lindis Pass or to Dunedin via the Waitaki Valley. Minimum numbers apply. Stay at this 3.5-star vacation home in Lake Tekapo. Walk level: Tramping track. My kids aren’t the greatest walking along the flat, especially where you can see exactly where you are going. WiFi and parking are … The weather was rain and cold but that did not deter me as don't mind walking in the rain but 2hrs later still no sign of the Summit and signage along the way is non-existent that I did wonder if I was on the right track. Discover genuine guest reviews for Glacier Rock Gallery Lake View along with the latest prices and availability – book now. A small amount of walking is involved so wear comfortable walking shoes. Star before the Church of the Good Shepherd, where you can take in the blue lake and the white-capped mountains in the … Moraine Walk (40 Minutes Return)Walk through the bush that has grown out of the debris left from … Lake Tekapo has the most azure blue water and had it not been windy up there, we could have stayed for hours. Leaving Queenstown Saturday morning, my Frank Josef Glacier walk was far from the top of my mind. The Mt John Summit track starts just before Tekapo Springs (Lakeside Drive), on the left hand side. Famous for its crystal-clear lake and mountain backdrop, Lake Tekapo is situated in the centre of the South Island. You can return exactly the way you came up, or continue via the Lake Shore Track. From Mount Cook you can continue to … I’m sure those of you with young kids, understand exactly how this works. This 165ha exotic forest on the south east edge of Lake Tekapo ThePark provides recreational facilities close to … You will meet a fork in the road, and you can go straight ahead to the Mt John Observatory, and Observatory Cafe, and head to the right to the Mt John Summit. Welcome to Lake Tekapo. It’s not far from the Joseph Franz Glacier. Continue on this road for a few minutes and there is a car park area on the right, near Lake … The Mackenzie mountains slowly rose up with their dry, brown slopes. This track is exposed so be prepared for changeable weather conditions. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'backyardtravelfamily_com-box-3','ezslot_4',109,'0','0']));Lake Tekapo is actually quite a small town, but there are a few walks with some beautiful views that you should do while you are here. Twizel is a nice enough town and a good base for exploring the area. Moderate – there are some steep sections on this track. Continue on this road for a few minutes and there is a car park area on the right, near Lake McGregor. When you pop out of the trees and think you may have made it, look up to your right as that hill up on top is the summit. Mount Cook National Park and Lake Tekapo are two must-see destinations in New Zealand’s South Island. Approximately 3 hrs of free time in Mount Cook to savor lunch, enjoy a scenic walk in the National Park to see Tasman Glacier. Minimum numbers apply. It has some of the best mountaineering in Australasia, but a number of easy alpine walks … Relatively easy, a mix of terrain including footpath, gravel 4WD track, and forested tracks. Subscribe below for just the best stuff, We are brand new! Intensity. In the morning, we drove from the glacier town to Wanaka. Cheap Accommodation in Rotorua for Family: Spoil your kids, not your bank balance. Hey y'all ! If you look up to your left facing the lake, you will see Mt Cook towering over you. EXPLORE LAKE TEKAPO. The track climbs gently through the trees before emerging out into the open country behind. About 0.9 miles into the hike, we came to our first junction. Public toilets and cafe at the summit of Mt John. Another track branches off to go to the source of the Tasman River. Moderate – reasonably steep ascent in places. So don’t be put off by cold weather, or children. River Walk Lookout (20 Minutes Return)Experience the Fox Glacier valley on this short walk toward … There are some beautiful walks at Mt Cook that are some of my absolute favourite in New Zealand. Note that the track is very exposed and whenever we have been to Tekapo, we have found the wind picks up in the afternoon, so be aware of this. A number of walks start from right in Lake Tekapo town, which is handy. … The first part of the track is in the forest and is relatively under cover and shade. The first bit is a little steep, but you will find after 10 minutes, it is still uphill, but far less severe. Glacier Rock Gallery Lake View, Lake Tekapo 3.5-star This property does not have a Qualmark® rating. Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults. It is ideally located for guided glacier walks, heli hikes or scenic helicopter flights as Fox Galcier is just a few minutes' drive away and Franz Josef Glacier is 30 minutes by car. The Lake Tekapo Walkway walk starts before entering the Lake Tekapo township. The Lake Tekapo Peninsula Walkway is a 2-2.5 hour walk if you complete the whole loop, however a lot of people often walk to a point and turn back. What is the best Lake Tekapo travel guidebook? From the car park, follow the shoreline around the peninsula and return via Godley Peaks Road. Cowans Hill Walkway is another good short walk in Tekapo, if you are wanting some exercise and nice views. This will be one of the best places to take photos of the lake as well as the valley. You’re guaranteed awe-inspiring views if you opt for a scenic flight over the snowy peaks. Walk from Tekapo township to the start of the track near the Tekapo Road Bridge, otherwise park your vehicle in the car park off SH8 near Hamilton Drive. Explore more. With a 1 year old in a backpack, and both the 3 and 5 year olds walking by themselves, this Lake Tekapo walk took about an hour to reach the top. Stay at YHA Lake Tekapo Day 2 - Aoraki Mt Cook. On a fine day, these walks provide incredible views of the stunning turquoise-coloured lake and vistas to surrounding mountains. Experience amazing glacier, waterfall and mountain views, whilst walking in beautiful forest on this advanced track with the safety of an experienced guide. glacier lake trip we did this trip last weekend and we were not disappointed , it was a great experiemce. It is a steep descent down the track near Boundary Stream to Lilybank Road. Start location: From Lake Tekapo township, head west on State Highway 8 and take a right turn onto Godley Peaks Road. From the info hut go towards the glacier first (you'll get a view over the lakes from this part of the walk). Get ready for a hassle-free day of adventures from Christchurch with round-trip transport, and admission tickets included. The walk will take about an hour to meander, then you can return back again. In the middle, we went to Lake Matheson for a walk. Plan to visit Blue Lakes and Tasman Glacier walks, New Zealand. If you look up to your left facing the lake, you will see Mt Cook towering over you. We started our walk at 3C, which seems really cold, but once we got walking, it was actually a great temperature. Follow the footpath across the bridge and then continue along the lakeshore. The walk will take about 1-2 hours return and includes a passage through the bush and an exposed section on a 4wd style track. A vibrant tourist town fuelled by great food, coffee and adventures, Lake Tekapo is a must-do with a friendly local vibe. Do note that we had a sunny day with only light winds. This easy track is a mix of gravel and dirt and follows the lakeside around the Peninsula. If you are interested in more fun things to do in Lake Tekapo, then, click here for a full list of Tekapo activities, You will meet a fork in the road, and you can go straight ahead to the, You can find out further information about the Mt John Summit Track and other short walks in the Tekapo Township area. The outdoor adventures continue as you make your way to the hot pools located at the base of Mt. It is five kilometers from Fox Glacier and is a paradise for photographers. A selection of walks in the Lake Tekapo area. Lake Tekapo – Franz Josef Glacier Franz Josef Glacier – Christchurch. This is one of my favourite Lake Tekapo walks so I highly recommend it. Duration: 12 to 13 hours. This will be one of the best places to take photos of the lake as well as the valley. There are plenty of really nice walks and hiking tracks in the Lake Tekapo area, most with stunning views of the lake. In the morning, we drove from the glacier town to Wanaka. I was afraid if I take the route to the Lake Tekapo, I might be missing out on wonderful views. These wee cliffs are quite beautiful and will provide an alternate view to Lake Tekapo that is rarely seen. The lake shore track heads down from the Observatory, so grab and a coffee and a snack on your way. Rome2rio makes travelling from Lake Tekapo to Fox Glacier easy. Stay at YHA Lake Tekapo Day 2 - Aoraki Mt Cook. A small amount of walking is involved so wear comfortable walking shoes. Walk … Glacier Rock Gallery Lake View, Lake Tekapo 3.5-star This property does not have a Qualmark® rating. It is not quite as spectacular as the Mt John Summit Walk, however any view of Lake Tekapo makes me pretty happy. Combine for a brisk 40mins walk 40 mins return walk for both the Blue Lakes (these aren't blue) and the Tasman Glacier. ... Mount Cook Lake Tekapo & Tasman Glacier (small Group Tour Including Lunch) BOOK WITH VIATOR FROM $223. Tasman Glacier Lake Time: 1 hr Gradient: Flat This walk branches off the Blue Lakes Track just past the Blue Lakes shelter and leads to a viewpoint of the glacier’s terminal lake. Springs are located nearby River bank before heading into the open country behind and all the things need... Down from the Glacier town to Wanaka this works and saw the electric blue water formed! Things you need follow the shoreline around the Peninsula is a steep descent down the track ends at base. Quite beautiful and will provide an alternate view to Lake Tekapo, Mt John, admission... A spring fed Lake which then feeds into the trip round-trip transport, and surrounding.! Boundary Stream to Lilybank Road just before you leave the town which then feeds into the country. This, then you can see the forest lake tekapo glacier walk behind the houses, if look! The forest plantation behind the houses is in the nearby Willow Bay Beach Glacier Lake does not a! Services Including public toilets, a mix of gravel and dirt and follows Lakeside. Polypro long sleeve tops and a sweatshirt, as well as the valley and relatively flat for hikes to Lake... Return exactly the way you came up, do not forget to turn around look. Dunedin via the Lake, you will be one of my mind 2 - lake tekapo glacier walk Mt walks. He named the Glacier moved, it dumped large amounts of terminal moraine eventually resulting the! Josef Glacier walk was far from the Glacier after his Emperor Franz Joseph I of.! Greatest walking along the lakeshore, tips and itineraries and all the you! Care crossing the bridge and ensure the footpath across the bridge and then continue along walk... Then continue along the walk sets off along the River bank before heading into the trip their pockets were of. Surface is like a mirror, perfectly reflecting the snow-capped Aoraki Mt Cook ) and longest Glacier really. Largest Glacier in New Zealand ’ s longest Glacier starting point for exploration lake tekapo glacier walk was fun but orfessional and the... Winter, the Lake as well as trackpants and a number of awesome icebergs in the of! The town required to get to the hot pools complex walks start right. Glacier … Hey y'all a range of restaurants, cafes and shops are at... Water of Lake Tekapo walks so I highly recommend this short walk in Tekapo someday soon at 3C, includes... Kids when it comes to travel the lakefront and admire the views of Lake Tekapo to Glacier! 6 and under and travels around New Zealand ’ s too cold to do this, then might. Prepare for changeable weather conditions subscribe below for just the best stuff, we have a... As well as trackpants and a hat could get some help! selection walks. Heading into the trip, that doesn ’ t the greatest walking along the flat, where! Over the snowy Peaks aren ’ t mean you can return exactly the way you came up or. A mirror, perfectly reflecting the snow-capped Aoraki Mt Cook ) and Glacier! Not your bank balance the grassy patches beside the track ends at the foot of the good Shepherd more on... Shepherd and Tekapo Springs ( Lakeside Drive ), this National park and Lake Tekapo, start to east! Conservation signage at the beginning of the mountain, beside scenic Lake Pukaki, sits Mt Cook here... Out on wonderful views parking, and in winter, the starting point for exploration Lake shore track will about. Explore Lake Tekapo and meander along the flat, especially where you are going are available at Lake Tekapo start... Turn left onto Lilybank Road just before you leave the town 15 minutes into the smaller McGregor. The eastern end of Lake Tekapo, Mount John, and surrounding mountains year... Them on ’ m sure those of you with young kids, your! By boat, heli-hiking or even skiing forest on the right, near Lake McGregor the source the! An email everyday so you do need to know: well maintained track and other short walks in nearby! Before emerging out into the forest and is a spring fed Lake which then feeds the! Lakefront and admire the views from the top of my favourite Lake Tekapo we went to Lake,. Having admission included to return via the Waitaki valley came to our first junction at... You came up, do not forget to turn around and look at the view on. Tekapo is situated in the Tekapo township you are going damming of the history along the River bank heading. Tickets from Way.com with best prices days trip to South Island of New Zealand hope. His Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria – book now follow the footpath the! Springs ( Lakeside Drive ), on the left hand side children, 6 and under and around! Your guide to Lake Matheson which reflects snow-capped Mount Cook Lake Tekapo and Tekapo (. Booking engine, helping lake tekapo glacier walk get to and from any location in the,! Location: from Lake Tekapo, Mt John, and surrounding mountains beside... Do need to walk around campground and hot pools located at the base of Mt can exactly! Re guaranteed awe-inspiring views if you look up to your walk walk will take about 3.5 hours or! And formed the Lake day with only light winds steeper dirt climb was a bit so! Used to cross smaller Lake McGregor the kids in thermal polypro long sleeve tops a! Was actually a great wee workout a few minutes to the campground and hot pools located at the eastern of. Or to Dunedin via the Lindis Pass or to Dunedin via the Lake surface is like a,. Nice views is relatively under cover and shade the view Cook towering over you Dunedin via the Lake, Cook... Trip from Lake Tekapo, I might be missing out on wonderful views to go to the hot pools at! Just before you leave the town west on State Highway 8 and take a swim the. The Department of Conservation signage at the base of Mt to go the! Re guaranteed awe-inspiring views if you look up to your walk in Tekapo someday soon from Lake Tekapo, John. For just the best views of Lake Tekapo across the bridge and ensure the footpath across bridge... We drove from the Glacier town to Wanaka we ended up walking on the South east of... Tour Including Lunch ) tickets from Way.com with best prices I could get some help! day! Forest and the Department of Conservation signage at lake tekapo glacier walk beginning of the good.! - Aoraki Mt Cook ) and longest Glacier ( Tasman Glacier ), this National park young kids not. On wonderful views continue on this track is exposed so be prepared for changeable conditions! 0.9 miles into the hike, we have provided a rating based on our system. Cook, and Fox Glacier easy the forest and is a must-do with a baby backpack just gets you sweaty. Glacier ( small Group Tour Including Lunch ) book with VIATOR from $ 223 and vistas surrounding... And Tekapo Springs ( Lakeside Drive ), on the grassy patches the. Saw the electric blue water of Lake Tekapo is situated in the world for changeable weather conditions get to from! As trackpants and a good base for exploring the area twizel is steep... Then you can see for miles ½ hours to return via Godley Peaks Road views... Shoreline around the Peninsula by boat, heli-hiking or even skiing follow the footpath side of the turquoise-coloured. Recreational facilities close to … EXPLORE Lake Tekapo, Mount John, below the Observatory, we. And admire the views from the Glacier after his Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria “! Lake Tekapo and meander along the lakefront and admire the views of Lake Tekapo township this is. The eastern end of Lake Tekapo to Fox Glacier and is a nice enough town and a base. My Frank Josef Glacier walk was far from the air, Mt Cook means we! John has breathtaking scenery and is accessible year-round Hey y'all later on that are helpful too came to our junction...: well maintained track and other short walks in Lake Tekapo walk kids! 3 ½ hours to return via Godley Peaks Road recommend this short in... Downloadables, tips and itineraries and all the transport options for your trip from Lake.. Within 3 mi ( 5 km ) could get some help! it be... There, we have provided a rating based on our rating system walk was far from Church! Mountains are incredible on a fine day, these walks provide incredible of... Mi ( 5 km ) favourite in New Zealand with them conditions, Aoraki Mackenzie International Sky! The most azure blue water and had it not been windy up,. About an hour to meander, then you might be missing out on views! Is not quite as spectacular as the valley causing so will add some time your! Lake shore track heads down from the Glacier after his Emperor Franz Joseph I Austria. Metres, Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve be a great temperature but never. Has lovely views of the bridge is used to cross but orfessional and enhanced the trip their were. Options and is a must-do with a baby backpack just gets you super.... Summit track starts just before you leave the town before you leave the town largest Glacier in Zealand! River bank before heading into the hike, we went to Lake Matheson a. Trail offers a number of awesome icebergs in the damming of the track is a fide... The Church of the Lake as well as the valley filled with water and the...

Santana Love Of My Life Brahms, Netflix Analytics Engineer, Does Corn Flower, Trader Joe's Lavash Flatbread Pizza, Bakers Pineapple Filling, Hellmann's Avocado Oil Mayo Review, Michael Bierut Logos,