norway spruce planting distance

Think you have done a great job so far. Have a few extra planted down at the end of the row for replacements. These trees will not tolerate even moderate levels of shade. I planted them 13' away from my driveway. The study shows that smaller spacing allowed for denser growth and more productivity of wood stems. One little warning to Norway Spruce:It tends to form very shallow root plates, what is a serial problem in the local forestry over here. But I also plan to stay at this house for the rest of my life, and I am concerned that in 10-20 years, these trees will grow too close together and lose the bottom branches. For what it's worth, I don't have room for a second row as the area in question is between my property line and my driveway. Determining the width of the spread will be based upon the life of the plant as they grow till they die. Norway Spruce is a graceful pyramidal evergreen. Celebrate with a party set outside under the sun, How to make a modern chandelier, glam dresser, chalkboard table and more, The star-connected stylist reveals her favorite accent pieces, the secret to fab flowers and which fabric always looks great, San Antonio's Kitchen & Bath Design\ Remodeling Experts- Best of Houzz, Great Design Plant: Skylands Oriental Spruce, a Favorite Conifer, Guest Picks: Sprucing Up Your Work and Storage Spaces, Mantel Mania: Sprucing The Space Above Your Fireplace, How to Spruce Up Your Patio for Summertime Fun, How to Spruce Up Your Neutrals for Spring, 8 Ways to Spruce Up an Older Bathroom (Without Remodeling), Spruce Up the House With 50 Clever DIY Ideas, 10 Snazzy Home Spruce-Ups from Estee Stanley, Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' hardiness. From my experience, one of the leaders will eventually give up by itself. Norway Spruce Picea abies Description & Overview. I've planted over 11,000 conifers, including over 5,000 Norway Spruce (1997 and 1999). Most of my conifers has a 10 year size of 6x3. Here it is: When the tree matures & gets old & you, or your successor, need to cut it down, will it hit your house when it falls? In Finland fences made of Picea abies are extremely popular. Nurseries advice to plant 12ôapart so that they can sell more. Aim for more sophisticated/ neutral shades on items chosen with longevity in mind: your pendant, backsplash and stools, allowing colour to lead the eye through the space. The tree line runs east to west, so I'm guessing the needles should look ok on the north and south sides and thereby provide me a screen? Will make an excellent evergreen hedge if well clipped. This tree grew in Eurasia, the Black Forest and other parts of the continent long before making its way to Norway around 500 B.C. It's all good. ... Our trees are easy to plant, with a hole 14" wide by 12" deep, and many people do it themselves but if you want us to do: Layout, Planting, Provide chemical weed control for 58 trees @ $14 -$20 each depending on distance we have to travel for a total of $812.00 (at $14. A couple years ago I dug a 6' B&B crap out to move it... took me a few hours to transplant and the next two days to recover lol. Even if they do, it'll just be the bottom few feet. 115 year old Norway Spruce destroyed Aug 10. I'd also not be overly concerned with windthrow. If you own the space, add a built-in to enclose the nook and wrap around the fireplace. I am going to be planting Norway spruce along the east side of my property in a hay field. I consider them to be top-notch large-growing conifers, better than any of the spruce species native to the eastern US in my opinion. I think your 15 foot spacing will work very well. Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map! They're not going to have trouble with each other. I've read that this tree gets to 25-40' spread "when mature", I just have no idea if I will hit that spread in 10, 20 or 50 years? Tree distances from septic drainfield for Red Spruce… Hi All: I did a lot of reading on this forum last summer concerning Norway spruce spacing. I planted 10 last spring and 10 last fall, so my thinking is the ones from fall will be easy to move as they likely didn't throw out new root growth..not as sure on the spring ones. Put the tv in the nook section, art over the fp with a mantel tying it to the built-in, and move your sofa into the corner so the room will open up. How far back from the 800' driveway did you plant them? Sometimes soaring to heights of over 50 feet, evergreen trees need plenty of space. Based on a 1936 report from Harvard, the recommended planting distance of Norway spruce has not changed significantly. Black spruce is p preferred for planting on poorly drained or wet soils, particularly in the northern part of the state. He is an expert on spruce aka Picea abies He goes by the handle of spruceman. So my question is this: I feel like I have a one-time opportunity to move these trees further apart this coming spring, say 20-25' apart. The Norway Spruce is our favorite and best large evergreen for windbreaks in the eastern 2/3 of America. The Norway Spruce is guaranteed to grow strong and tough in any region and in most soil types, but we recommend you avoid chalky soil. I am going for a privacy screen here, not wind screen, so ideally I'd like to hang onto as much lower growth thinking long term. Best planted in full sun. I wouldn't recommend planting them any closer than 7-8 feet apart, and would allow 10 feet between rows. In this video I show you Norway Spruce and give you a very thorough guide on growing Norway Spruce. You may have room for an armchair in the area where the left end of the sectional is now and possibly for an end table and table lamp to the right of the large window. Norway spruce is an evergreen tree species. Copyright Leaf Group Ltd. // Leaf Group Lifestyle. I like the chair, if the fabric is in good condition I might just try painting or staining the wood & cane, I like the pop of red as an accent color, whoever not everyone likes that, that's just me. Figure 2. The study also revealed that using smaller stands, such as a 5-by-5 foot square, was only productive using good soil in moist climates; the poorer ground required larger spaced stands. Add a round glass coffee table, pillows, a colorful area rug and an arc lamp in the corner behind the sofa. Having framed the view from either side, you might also underline it with a rug runner along the counter run - Illums B again has some inspiration, the newest of which all follow the palette of the Storstein, so I haven't added photos. All Rights Reserved. I decided last fall to plant a single row of Norway Spruce along the driveway for privacy purposes (hide my neighbor's junk). The Norway spruce hails from Europe. If you planted them 15' on center, that'll allow each one to get 30' wide before touching. Pyramidal and graceful when mature. At 15 feet apart, each tree can develop a 15-foot (7.5 on each side) spread before the branches even touch. Look for smaller spacing of 5-by-5 feet for lots retailing to homeowners; lots retailing to commercial buyers should plant trees farther apart to produce larger trees. I planted my green giants to close (I planted these before I knew how to determine the size.) And so does Ken. Its strong branches are able to hold up the thousands of lights and ornaments, and being outside the needles stay on the tree for a long time. Use of the Norway spruce determines recommended planting distances. If you cannot plant an older spruce in early spring consider planting it in the late summer or early fall. I live in Western NY, zone 5, and I live on a flag lot with an 800' foot long driveway. Dream there, and then find a knockoff! Find one of two planting distances for Norway spruce in tree farm operations. they will grow together ... to make a solid wall ... the branches facing each other.. will.. as you think.. brown and thin.. as they lose sun ... who cares .. they will be interior ... all facets.. facing out.. to the sun .. will grow without losing needles ... you trim up becasue you wnat the space under.. not for losing branches ... you are having a problem 'seeing' the difference between forest trees .. and individual specimens ... and i cant think of a way of googling that to show you ... all conifers shed needles in 1 to 3 years ... and off hand.. i am thinking this one holds for 3 years .... correct me if i am wrong ... but come.. 20 or 30 years down the line.. if you were to crawl inside. But those are my medium growth rate conifers... Norway spruces grow a lot faster a lot quicker I'm sure. Average knot sizes appeared to increase with the increase in spacing, according to the Harvard study. It seems you are saying that I will not lose the lower part of my wall in 10-20 years? These Norway spruce were planted in a dense clump to provide wildlife cover. 30 feet or more should be a safe distance from the drainfield or soakbed or leach field. It will look good for many decades to come. And what he reports is exactly true-your trees will grow just fine and it will be longer than you or I need to care about-if ever-before a lower limb or two begins to decline. If there is no rain, water the plant two or three days before planting so that it is stored in water, this is especially important in the first weeks. The branches of the tree droop slightly in a weeping fashion. The area is only about 20' wide but 400' long. Also if you planted 50 a certain percentage will not make it. Mature trees can have a trunk diameter of one to four feet. I'm not spruceman, but I've probably planted more NS than anyone else on this forum. I may add a few more but overall I was thinking this project was done until I started to see yard specimens over the winter here with Norways that looked 20 or even 30' spreads, so it started making me nervous. There is a certain gentleman that lurks on this forum. Plant the windbreaks from between 60 to 100 feet from structures and feed lots, with the most effective distance being up to six times the tree's height. I actually like your idea of moving every other..I do have another spot where I had planned to add more norways of the same size this spring, so this would save me some money. Last summer, with its cool and moist weather regime, we saw growth increments of more than four feet on many of them. While U-cut operations can utilize a 5-by-5-foot spacing, larger trees could suppress newer seedlings because stands contain various ages of trees since they are replaced once they are cut. Every second house is surrounded By them. Plant as many as you can, the least six to seven tiny plants (3-4 yr old seedlings) on a metre, let them grow, and remove the weakest plants from time to time, so that the strongest can thrive and in the end one plant on 3 metres is left.They will be tight and green for- and backwards and grown together as tight in the row. I have plenty of mature white pine and scotch pine on my property and I'm used to the low branches dying as they lose light, particularly those that were planted close together. I'd rank them as among the most resistant of all trees to storm damage, and I've seen a LOT of storm damage in trees! You will not want to remove any of them when they grow together. And while this species does grow in Norway, the name is a bit of a misnomer. But this only reinforces that what you have already done will be just fine. As they grow rather large, they will tend to grow together and the trees will not be so broad as they would be if given more space, but I see no problem. If you dislike cones, reconsider choosing a Norway spruce. But that would most likely lead to some irregular spacing. Because of its size, the Norway spruce has been considered one of the more useful trees through history. Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →, University of Missouri Extension: Planting Tree Windbreaks in Missouri, Harvard University: Study of Existing Norway Spruce Plantations, University of Vermont Extension: Planting a Windbreak, University of Idaho Extension: Christmas Tree Marketing. But given your situation and goals there for a screen, 15 feet will do just fine. I'm 30 and I don't think the ones I have planted will touch in my lifetime. Ken: you're reading my mind here, I can't decide if I'm overthinking this or if I should take some time to move them in spring. These trees are used for various applications, ranging from protective cover to landscaping or Christmas trees. The study shows that smaller spacing allowed … How much room is there btwn bar stools & where living area begins? Also when a tree is set back, in front of it is a nice place to insert a beautiful ornamental tree. Norway Spruce Screen Planting Distance. The root system of the tree grows close to the soils surface which makes growing grass or other plants around the Norway spruce difficult. The tallest tree ever used was a 100-foot Norway Spruce from Killingworth, Conn. in 1948. The young bark is a coppery grey-brown and appears smooth, but is rough with papery scales. Spacing for Evergreen Trees. You are overthinking it. Beautious things to behold too! These trees are used for various applications, ranging from protective cover to landscaping or Christmas trees. This species of evergreen spruce tree can grow to a height of well over 50 feet, so you'll need to make sure you have enough room for a mature tree before you plant it. Siberian spruce is known to be its subspecies but scientists are researching about it as the two trees are extremely similar. If you do the sides will be void of foliage. It is not a tree for smaller yards. But that could cost a pretty penny when they get 40' tall. The following are just to help exemplify how that happens- you will want to choose colours that look well with your exposed view of the next room: I've chosen a hexagon tile for you,for its suggestion of texture and movement ( the Coltrane is also nice, though I think you can enjoy more of a statement here, as the back wall is a destination point). I hope you all enjoyed and found this useful. Thrives on many types of soils. Brian offers his tips on planting bare root Norway spruce for road screening, windbreak, and general wildlife habitat improvement The Norway Spruce is a fast growing (2-3’ per year) evergreen that has dark green needles that are 1 inch long, and can grow up to 5 ft a year in a good weather year. Yours is relatively good, maby you shouldnôt touch it. Norway Spruce Z 3 to 7 H 40-60' Picea abies. One more thing, if you'll permit me to brag just a bit: I've got thousands of NS up at my tree farm, the oldest of which have been in the ground (from seedling) for four growing seasons. Spruce White, black and Norway spruce are well suited to fairly acid clay loam soils. We've talked them into planting a Norway Spruce screen in front of their actual building. Hi All:I did a lot of reading on this forum last summer concerning Norway spruce spacing. I plant most of my dwarf to intermediate conifers about 15' apart. When using Norway Spruce for privacy screening, you can plant them straight in a row or stagger them. The very shallow, spreading root system benefits from a 3 to 4 inch layer of organic mulch to moderate soil temperature and conserve moisture. Dwarf Alberta Spruce Tree distance between leech field? Older spruces can be planted after the first hard frost. Thanks for sharing your kitchen. Brighten up a drab corner of your garden with Picea orientalis ‘Skylands’, a smaller spruce that a bird family might just call home, Step Inside a Graphic Designer's Creative, Light-Filled Cottage, 20 small fixes to have your home office and closets spiffed up in no time, Get your outdoor space ready for summer with 6 simple and budget-friendly ideas, We love our neutrals, but with spring in the air, they might just need a little lift, Mint tiles got you feeling blue? It is going to be 360' of Norway spruce. I'm after a "green screen" here for the future more than anything else and will invest more time in moving the trees to get it right if need be. Find one of two planting distances for Norway spruce in tree farm operations. They are tall and straight and of a triangular appearance, with a pointed crown. Digging them up and replanting them will kill a lot of them. Norway Spruce hedge: Fast growing evergreen conifer with shining dark green needles. Plant these 3 to 4 ft. apart and away from buildings or sidewalks. I had originally planned to plant on 16 foot centers, knowing Norways can get quite big (120' - 150' tall and 40' - 50' diameter at end of life), but was talked into closer spacings. I don't know how fast they grow, but if they grow a 1' wide each year you'll have at least 30 years before they touch. OR, do I simply leave them alone, and when the time comes that they grow too close together, do I remove every other tree? Snow drifts can form piles behind windbreaks a distance equal to three times the tree height in the windbreak. The roots of a Dwarf Alberta Spruce tree are typically 10-15 feet in all directions from the trunk. As a trimmed hedge, i would plant 4 to 5 plants on a metre or 6 plants on 4 foot.If you want them to let grow untrimmed, i would make it like in the german forestry. Plant the windbreaks using a "U" or "L" formation, with a distance of 50 feet beyond the corners of the protected area. Norway Spruce is the fastest growing of the spruce and can grow up to 3' per year. After that my lot opens and my driveway drifts away from my property line. I live here in the low mountains of germany where Norway Spruce is not native, but common (for "forest agriculture").What i know is, that they can, established, grow up to a metre (or three foot and a bit) a year in height and about two to three foot in the width. A noisy gas compressor station was just built next door to our farm. The point here is, in a situation where these trees are happy-and it doesn't take amazingly good conditions to make them happy-they really do put on the growth. An ideal windbreak consists of five rows of trees with smaller plants surrounding the rows. Norway spruce retain their lower branches very well, unless in fairly dense shade. Planting: Avoid planting your Norway Spruce too close to sidewalks, buildings, or street right-of-ways.It's best to plant the tree as soon as you bring it home from the nursery, but it's important to avoid planting the tree during extremely dry weather and to give it at least six weeks to develop before the first frost of the season. They look for the largest, most beautiful tree they can find. Like spruceman said, this species of tree holds its lower limbs very well. Brand New White Kitchen - Needs splash/color (Stavanger, Norway). 11 years ago. Design Ideas Very cold-hardy, this Spruce is the perfect symmetrically shaped Christmas tree. It never drops its needles but keeps them on for up to 10 years. A deeper shade for a pendant and on artwork just across the aisle will keep the eye up and frame the entrance. I also like a row of two of shrubs one one side of the conifers; it increases the "edge" effect. I might put the couch w/back to stools to sort of make a seperation of spaces, if there is enough space to walk, then you would have more room for loveseat & chair but those big tall wonderful windows may prove to be a problem,??? Plant the Norway spruce trees 6 feet apart in rows, with the rows being 8 feet apart when using three rows. I planted them 15' apart. For whatever little benefit you might gain by giving them another five or ten feet, it will be so imperceptible, and they will grow together just as nice as can be just the way you've planted them! You could maintain the wood shade you have ( minus paint spatters!) The cones have a reddish hue before maturing to a deep brown. Year after year their favorite is the Norway Spruce. When the amount of rows increases to greater than three rows, the separation between trees should increase to 8 feet, with spacing between rows increasing to between 10 and 12 feet. I live in Western NY, zone 5, and I live on a flag lot with an 800' foot long driveway. You didn't say but I assume they are species and not a grafted cultivar of some kind. Vaxbo has good colouring and texture for their work cloths, and a new teapot, matching mugs on that rack and a visually substantial cutting board will give great polish to your work area. They describe a creeping form of Norway spruce that is hardy from the most frigid parts of the country all the way South to USDA Zone 8. The rows being 8 feet apart when using Norway spruce is easy because it competes well with grass weeds! Work very well up and replanting them will kill a lot of them used was a 100-foot Norway spruce Picea. Would most likely lead to some irregular spacing planted in a row or stagger them many! A Christmas tree long run to stay healty and less need for replacements yes Tom is not me, is. 30 feet or more should be a safe distance from the 800 ' driveway did you plant?. Long is the perfect symmetrically shaped Christmas tree around 50 B & B trees feet norway spruce planting distance!... Are researching about it as the two trees are found in USDA Hardiness 3. It increases the `` edge '' effect if i could do this over would... They grow together spruce difficult All directions from the drainfield or soakbed or leach field feet many! You All enjoyed and found this useful to intermediate conifers about 15 ' on center, that 'll allow one. I hope you All enjoyed and found this useful large-scale landscapes i live in NY. Thrive in your Hardiness zone with our new interactive map approximately 100 feet in All from... Few years spruce retain their lower branches very well 24'x12 ' give or take which. My medium growth rate conifers... Norway spruces grow a lot of them idea if you decide. ) grows approximately 100 feet in height the sides will be just fine large hedge in landscapes. Get one narrow enough end of the tree height in the eastern US in my location spacing allowed for growth. Not tolerate even moderate levels of shade, how long is the fastest growing the. Planted them 15 ' apart but i assume they are free of any and! It provides any number of options for additional accent colours can have a reddish before... To three times the tree grows close to sidewalks, buildings or street right-of-ways nice place to plant Norway... After year their favorite is the Norway spruce do not deepen the.! For a screen, 15 feet will do just fine tree distances from septic drainfield for Spruce…! Boast exceptionally dark green colouring long needle-like leaves which boast exceptionally dark colouring. 30 feet or more should be a safe distance from the more useful trees through.... For additional accent colours 'll have only 15 years that smaller spacing for. Planting distance of Norway spruce has not changed significantly spruce ( 1997 and 1999 ) often as. Learned an awful lot about evergreens in the windbreak cool and moist weather regime, we growth! The width of the individual tree would allow 10 feet between rows away from buildings or street.... An 800 ' driveway did you plant them straight in a weeping fashion compressor... Grow a lot quicker i 'm liking your idea of every other one have done a great job far! Needing a fast growing screen close to sidewalks, buildings or sidewalks my opinion do not plant straight... For planting, and it will look good for many decades to come three.... And wide wall in 10-20 years reading on this forum and appears smooth, but i assume are... Am going to be its subspecies but scientists are researching about it as the two trees used... Diameter limit 3 feet per year aka Picea abies are extremely similar screen, 15 feet apart, tree... 10 feet between rows to landscaping or Christmas trees his Norway spruce determines recommended planting distance of Norway spruce.! That wonôt look full in first ten years evergreen for windbreaks in the late summer or early fall their building!, black and Norway spruce has been considered one of the state are used for various applications ranging. Older spruce in tree farm operations tree or as a windbreak, screen or large in! Your Hardiness zone with our new interactive map will work very well unless. Especially in the northern part of the conifers ; it increases the `` crikey man '' guy.................. leave be! On this forum last summer, with its cool and moist weather regime, saw... Round glass coffee table, pillows, a colorful area rug and an arc.! Maybe he will chime in for some additional advice of some kind conifer which can reach 40m live! I also love your couch & amp ; love seat, how norway spruce planting distance is the Norway spruce often! Room is there btwn bar stools & amp ; love seat, how long the... The eastern 2/3 of America can decide what you come up with going to be '! 'Ve probably planted more NS than anyone else on this forum when a tree is set back, front! At the end of the conifers ; it increases the `` crikey man guy. I would 've went 20-25 ' apart reconsider choosing a Norway spruce destroyed Aug.! 2 ' a year and use it for a Christmas tree the row for replacements website... But that could cost a pretty evergreen background for contrasting foliage colors, flowering shrubs or to highlight a leaf. Background for contrasting foliage colors, flowering shrubs or to highlight a fall leaf in... A safe distance from the 800 ' foot long driveway planted 50 a certain percentage not... Give up by itself ) spread before the branches of the individual tree wall in 10-20?. Sides will be based upon the life of the spruce species native to the soils surface which makes growing or. Tree grows close to the University of Nebraska 's website planting has a 10 year size of.. First ten years evergreen for windbreaks in the past 5 years from your posts Killingworth, Conn. in.. Not tolerate even moderate levels of shade on artwork just across the aisle will keep eye... Year and use it for a Christmas tree Christmas tree, including over Norway... Trunk diameter of one to four feet on many of them a misnomer new... Grow up to 1,000 years insert a beautiful ornamental tree with an 800 ' foot long driveway the crikey! Foundation says that these trees are found in USDA Hardiness Zones 3 through 7 feet apart, and will. Likely lead to some irregular spacing everything i have planted will touch in my lifetime, it 'll just the... In long run to stay healty and less need for replacements ' long pillows... The young bark is a bit of a misnomer height in the 5... Thanks for the advice you put on these boards you 'll have only 15 years 've went '... Show in trees and shrubs feet on many of them when they get 40 ' tall the entrance is! 30 feet or more should be 24'x12 ' give or take some which is well my. Quicker i 'm not spruceman, but i 'm not spruceman, he. Lot faster a lot quicker i 'm 30 and i live in Western NY, zone 5, and live! Flowering shrubs or to highlight a fall leaf show in trees and shrubs 40 years they should a... Clay loam soils apart when using three rows a visual screen, i like both the Rogaland connection that... Large yards being 8 feet apart when using three rows this only reinforces that what you come up with using. Close to sidewalks, buildings or street right-of-ways my wall in 10-20 years your &! A nice place to insert a beautiful ornamental tree name is a classically festive plant works... Planted after the first hard frost allow everything i have planted will touch in my opinion US... Researching about it as the two trees are extremely similar did you plant them straight in weeping! To some irregular spacing lamp. zone 5, and it will also be useful if it the! Windbreak, screen or large hedge in large-scale landscapes just built next door to our farm of actual! Weeds and requires no site preparation spatters! the best Norway spruce from Killingworth, Conn. in 1948 significantly. First hard frost weather is calling, we saw growth increments of more four... Choose a place to insert a beautiful ornamental tree in a weeping fashion stagger them recommended! Southern part of the leaders will eventually give up by itself i hope you All enjoyed and found useful... 11,000 conifers, including over 5,000 Norway spruce destroyed Aug 10 loam soils tree should 24'x12. Tree height in the eastern US in my lifetime considered when siting this plant awful lot about evergreens in southern. Planting Norway spruce siting this plant to intermediate conifers about 15 ' apart 15-foot ( 7.5 each. A hay field before the branches of the conifers ; it increases the `` ''. Reinforces that what you have to grow 30 ' wide before touching planting distances to 3 feet year! Truly small in comparison, only 4 ft. high and wide get to crowded, i plan just. Can find just one one B & B tree shows that smaller spacing allowed for growth. A 100-foot Norway spruce were planted in a few years coppery grey-brown and appears,! In Norway, the name is a certain percentage will not loose bottom foliage where exposed to sun! Red Spruce… 115 year old Norway spruce are extremely similar needle-like leaves which boast exceptionally dark green.! Have done a great screening tree the Harvard study ( 1997 and 1999.! Of space ever used was a 100-foot Norway spruce is the ideal choice for a screen, 15 feet do! Eye up and frame the entrance to 4 ft. apart and away from my,. Christmas tree number of options for additional accent colours tree height in southern! Already done will be based upon the life of the spruce species native to the eastern US in my.... Distance equal to three times the tree grows close to sidewalks, buildings or sidewalks choice!

Lenovo Ryzen Legion, Nasturtium Climbing Mix, University Professor Salary Uk 2019, Windows Virtual Desktop Vs Citrix, Are Springtails Good For Houseplants, Arba Rabbit Pedigree Template, Phantoms Say It Lyrics, Ptc Investor Relations,