sour bites candy from the 70s

I had a vague memory of a sweet tart like candy with animals embossed on it in a package like Razzles. I loved Sour Bites! They seemed really popular. But then again, I guess when you're 10 years old and it's summer vacation and the lawn has already been mowed, you really don't have anything better to do anyway. They were made by beechnut. As a side note the Owl said three licks and the end of the commercial said the world may never know. I always wondered why they stopped making them. Someone has to hear our plea!! . Kevin Arnold from the Wonder Years was reading it to me in my head. You can get Alpha-Bits cereal at Walmart & it is still the same! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD8kbYlRVKI I want my Sour Bites!! Still no revival? Sour Bites were definitely Beech-Nut. Perhaps if there is enough of us, we can petition Beechnut to make them again. I was looking forward to tasting these and seeing how sour they really are. google_ad_channel = "9301152533"; Any thoughts? There were none. Lo and behold here we all are thinking about something that will probably never be the same again. We hoarded and traded Zotz in much the same way we coveted our Pop Rocks stash. The commercial says Beech-Nut, people. Sour Candy History. An American plant still may be operating in Florida, NY (some 60 miles NW of NYC). My brother loved Pixy Stix, but I didn't have the patience to peel and empty the stiff papers tubes. This is truly amazing that so many of us still remember and crave those magnificant morsels of pleasure. The red Spree when chewed tastes like a cherry Sour Bite. Didn't one have the face of a hippo on it. google_color_text = "000000"; I wish so much that they would bring back sour bites as well as one of my other favorite retro foods which was General mills breakfast squares that came in chocolate vanilla and cinnamon! "Bite 'em!". Wow, I guess Sting had it right, I'm not alone ing being alone! Nothing can compare to Sour Bites -- not Sweet Tarts, not Fun Dip, not Neccos. I remember them fondly. Oh my God I cannot believe there are other people who have such wonderful memories of this candy. Whoever brings these things back to life will be a millionaire. I always got them at Hick's store in Elfers, FL and a lickety split (like s push up but like s iccee push up>>>:)...good times!!!! I also thought they were so much better than Sweet Tarts. The tiny, sharp explosions spiked your tongue, and you were afraid of swallowing them and winding up like Mikey, or worse. Better than Sweet Tarts and Tiny Tarts were my second fav. My sister and I have searched for years with no luck. 99 See more ideas about candy, retro candy, vintage candy. Oh yes, Pop Rocks. An exercise in frustration. Wacky Packs combined Mad Magazine parody with bubblegum sweetness, offering a nerd-comedy alternative to baseball cards that kids like me and my friends immediately flocked to. Call it what you want, but if it tastes good, kids'll eat anything, no matter the name. Nov 23, 2013 - Explore Jennifer Johnson's board "70's candy remember these? Just keep reminding kids to Brush their Teeth. Old Fashioned Candy, peanut butter molasses, maple leaf candy and much more, can be found in our online selection. I preferred them to SweeTarts as they didn't seem to shred the inside of my mouth the way the latter did. Sadly, it has yet to happen. I have a story. I am 53 and still miss them! I believe I must have bought the last ones ever sold. It was not unlike Turkish Taffy or Bonomos, yet Laffy Taffy was somehow more synthetic in nature—kind of like yummy Silly Putty. We would probably pay almost anything :). Zotz, Pop Rocks, Blow Pops, Chunky bars, and Bubble Yum ruled my world. I graduated in 1983 with a BA in advertising and moved to NYC. Brenda, a more serious favor to ask, if you read this - if possible, can you please confirm the name of the maker? Now I am on a mission. I feel like Woody Harrelson in Zombieland except I want sourbites not some stale Twinkie. There was a burst of flavor as the lozenge broke up, a kind of pale Sweet Tart experience, and then the granular bits began re-assembling themselves as gum, which for a kid used to having real-world barriers between candy genres was more than a little disorienting. I also wonder if anyone even has the recipe. There's something about candy invented in the 1970s that really puts you back in your childhood. Could it get any better? In my childhood, this was the best candy available at the public pool (and believe it or not, you can still find Bottle Caps right here!). OK Sour bites.. not a dream Loved!!! Although the total amount of actual candy in Candy Buttons is relatively small, the long scroll of slick white paper and the seemingly countless little dots made it seem like one of the best deals in the candy store. where can we get them? I miss them, too. 49 and still missing them!! But Neccos? Yellow and orange were my favorite flavors. Air Heads. I am STILL looking to buy one of these 1970s empty wrappers from this candy...I'd pay at LEAST $100 cash for JUST an empty wrapper. 357k members in the OnlyFans101 community. Jolly Rancher. @Chandler - GAH!!!! "....AND, OF COURSE, i would say SOUR BITES.....they were a hit at my slumber parties..... i remember a purple fish, and of course....my fav....the orange tiger....WE HAVE TO FIND THIS CANDY!!!! These little wonders start stiff and, in cold weather, brittle, but soon soften into a pliable mass that fits perfectly against the roof of your mouth. He didn't really eat three packs of cherry Pop Rocks, wash them down with a can of Coke, and suffer a chemical reaction that turned him into a parade balloon. Publication date 2011-03-02. Yipes Stripes its Sour Bites!! Calories #19: Sour Candy, Rainbow Berry, Value Size. I have been racking my brain trying to remember those unbeleivably good candies from the '70's....I knew they were "Beechnut", but I kept thinking they were called "Tiger Tarts" or something. Pixy Stix failure! My first post was 4yrs. [smacks head against brick wall]. Were you supposed to wear them, or eat them? It's Sour Bites!" There was nothing like these little gems in the 70's. We went with Chunky, a candy bar that let you know you were eating candy, not airholes... What about Wax Lips? Whoever has the formula could make some money, looks like, by reviving these. Discover Hard-To-Find Candies From the Past. Incredible article well written. I loved how the package was like a white metallic and how the sour bites themselves were debossed with the various animal images. Stripes! Pop Rocks were a bang when they were first offered in 1975, and they still are ( read about Pop Rocks and Children’s Culture and Candy Consumption ). I on the other had have tried it a few times and each one was a different amount of licks. So even with scientific testing the answers maybe non conclusive but still tasty. Peruse our tubular selection of retro candy today and you'll find a ton of treats that will take you back to your childhood. Freshen-Up had a liquid center that gushed into your mouth when you bit it, sort of like a benign version of Zotz. Does this ring a bell. Reese's Pieces, Pop Rocks, Jelly Bellies -- for kids prowling the candy aisle at the local 7-Eleven or Circle-K in the 1970s, there was a constant stream of new and delicious sugary stuff. Which, come to think of it, we pretty much were. I bought the entire box and rationed them but they are of course long gone.......if only I had kept one more pack to prove thier worthiness to some candy maker. 70's Disco - Mini Candy Bar Wrappers, Round Candy Stickers and Circle Stickers - 1970s Disco Fever Party Candy Favor Sticker Kit - 304 Pieces 4.8 out of 5 stars 7 $17.99 $ 17 . As a disguise, wax lips were quite ineffectual, and as a candy, well . i contacted beech nut and begged them to produce sour bites again. It sounds vaguely medical: "Nurse, this car-crash victim needs to be fitted with a Necco, stat!" So many of the candies we know and still love today came to us during the decade of Watergate and disco. Oh how I remember Sour Bites - I have trying to find them - My daughter was in Pasa Robles, CA at this Sweet Shoppe (Powell's Sweet Shoppe)and they said that they carried them, but were out - I'm still trying to find them - If anyone knows where they can be brought - PLEEEEEASSSE, let me know. Good thing they had all this delicious retro candy to fuel their protesting and free love! My uncle and I would walk to a small corner store not far from my grandparents home and sour bites would always be my treat of choice. If you're a child of the 1970s like me then 70s sweets will hold a particularly dear place in your heart. http://archive.org/details/dmbb05414 you can watch a vintage commercial for them here! Nice to know other folks are out there that miss them also. They were made by Beech-Nut, and I loved them better than Sweet-Tarts. I have been searching for them for years. The red ones have a new coating on them. Sincerely, Beech-Nut Nutrition Consumer Services Received information: 4/7/2012 6:14:40 PM "Searching online"! A list of the most popular scanned grocery products in the category of candy > sour candy. Sour Bites! I will keep going and let you know what I find. No more than skinny's in Goldboro will ever have the twin jet burgers. They were my favorite treat from the local quick mart, growing up in Chapel Hill, NC. I so wish they'd start making them again...I would buy them for sure...brings back so many memories! on package. That explains why this Hangry sour candy kit is the cure to your cravings. sour bites candy from late 60's-to late 70's (tuna, orange, better) User Name: Remember Me: Password ... For example, the grape Sour bite had a hippo on it and the orange one had a tiger on them. Food and Beverage Addeddate 2011-03-18 00:53:14 Filename dmbb05414.mp4 Identifier dmbb05414 Source 282ef2ef-00f9-426b-aa47-a540995e1e2 Year 2011 . I've been writing to distributors of nostalgic candies asking them to work with their manufacturers. My daughter was eating sweetarts the other day and I had a complete flash back to my childhool only it was sour bites I was remembering. No one wanted them! No candy has or ever will come close to joy a package of those small treasures could bring! I have now written to Hershey and I'll let you know what they say. I was so happy to see the commercial, boy did it bring back memories! Somebody should be making them agin so we could enjoy the great sour flavor that was the best. The stickers were funny and gross and unforgettable. A list of the most popular scanned grocery products in the category of candy > sour candy. The fad that surrounded Pop Rocks made them the candy to have in the 1970s, and it's unlikely that anyone who came of age in the 1970s didn't at last try them. plus-circle Add Review. From searching on-line the best information I can find is that the Sour Bites were part of the Life Savers product line and that is now owned by Wrigley. Nobody is mentioning their counterparts: Hot Bites - they were awesome good - spicy but not TOO hot. Does Anybody know anything about a modern day source for the greastest candy ever made!